Saturday, December 8, 2012

Behind the Blog # 30: Crime


BTB4

Behind The Blog is a meme to help bloggers connect their life and interests to the content showcased on their blog. The co-hosts Faye Kathe and Melissa will provide a different topic, idea, or question every week that bloggers can relate to themselves and the books, films, or media they find interesting!

Crime:
While many may never experience crime firsthand, it is something that is constantly in society as many feel that rules and regulations are simply there to be broken. This week we do not wish you to admit to your crimes, or even crimes of people you know, but simply your views on crime in general. Or, if you prefer, could you imagine how you would react if a) you were to find a body. b) you were kidnapped or c) you had a gun pointed at your head.
In relation to media, what books and films do you know that reflect crime in an interesting way or what are your favourite crime stories?

I'll admit, I'm one of those people who have watched those Lifetime movies where someone (usually a woman) gets mugged, or kidnapped, and they go through ridiculous lengths to get away, and thought "Oh how cheesy" But of course, in all seriousness, these things do happen. People do get mugged, kidnapped, and worse, unfortunately. I can't say for sure how I would react, but I'll try and speculate.

If I were to find a body: I would immediately call the police. It may sound obvious, but seeing a body can be shocking, so reactions can be delayed.

If I were kidnapped, I'd probably employ some of the tactics I've learned by watching those Lifetime movies. If I happened to have my phone, I'd silently call someone (if I were in the car with the driver) and ask leading questions, hoping someone would be able to realize the questions were weird and to get help. If I were locked in a trunk, I'd search around for a trunk button and try to open the trunk to jump out, or get the car behind that one's attention. Or, I'd try to smash out the tail lights to poke my hands or phone or something through to try and get some help.

Oddly, I don't fear these things very much. Not because I think "Oh that won't happen to me" but more because I think more along the lines of "If something like that is going to happen then it's going to happen. Avoiding places or activities isn't going to completely prevent something like that from happening to me."

I was the poster child for doing the exact opposite of the campus safety rules when I was in college. I didn't use the campus shuttle service after night classes. I walked back from the all night computer lab at 2 am, alone. When I needed to escape the rowdiness of the dorm, I'd walk along the lesser traveled routes around the campus. The years I had roomates, I didn't tell them where I was going all the time or when I'd be back. 

Again, it's not because I lack common sense, or anything like that. It's just that if something were going to happen, it would have happened whether I had told someone where I'd be, or if I walked back with a friend, or not.(I also attended a relatively safe campus, so I wasn't too worried about it in the first place) If someone wants to commit crimes like the ones we're discussing, they'll go to whatever lengths they have to if it means getting what they want. There's no point in worrying needlessly over the "what if's"

Books and Media:

I have to admit that I don't often read crime books. When I do, it's usually True Crime.
One that I read a while ago that was really good was A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard.

What do you think you'd do in these situations?
Do you have any crime books that you can recommend?

We'd love to have you join us for Behind the Blog!

If you're choosing to join us for Behind the Blog don't forget to link up your post by using the Linky list below!
Are you joining us? Here are our rules:


  • The hosts' Behind the Blog posts go live at midnight on Friday, GMT+0:00. Feel free to post before that, just link up on Friday! 
  • Feel free to make use of the button shown above, or if it clashes with your blog colours e-mail us or make your own.
  • Read, write, and connect! The Linky is there for you. Make use of it!
  • Last but not least, have fun! 



2 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Ha..i am a coward and follow all of the safety rules and rarely travel alone at night!

Melissas Midnight Musings said...

Kimba, I wouldn't say you're a coward, just smart and safe! :)