Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Review: Born Wicked

Born Wicked Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Melissa's Musings:

My husband bought this for me as a Christmas gift and it's my first read of the new year. I have to admit, it started out a bit slow. I wasn't really interested in Cate, Maura and Tess. As the story goes on it gets to be more interesting.

The setting is an alternate history of sorts. It reminds me a lot of the setting of the Handmaid's tale, with the religious undertones, the Brotherhood, who control the actions (and minds) of the women in the town. Plus there's the counterpart of the Sisterhood. Secret is, they're all witches and they're working against the Brotherhood.

Cate has a lot on her shoulders, given that before her mother died, she made a promise to keep her sisters safe and to keep them together. Little did she know there was a great deal of danger and sacrifice on her part required to do that. It turns out, Cate and her sisters are part of a prophecy of tells of three sister witches who are meant to bring about a second coming for the witches of the world.

There are many secrets, between many different characters in this story. It highlights perfectly just how imperfect we all are.

I think of all the characters Tess, the youngest sister, and Finn, are my favorites. Tess for her sweet, innocent nature, and Finn for his bookishness and love of learning. The romance between he and Cate is sweet, and had me rooting for them.

The one thing missing is the true nature of their skills with magic. Cate spends a lote of time controlling her sister's use of it, and understandably so, but this left me wanting. When it comes to stories that involve magic, I really like for that to be explored fully, and it wasn't here. I have a feeling and hope that will pickup in book 2.

I'm intrigued to see what happens next and am very glad to have book 2 waiting for me to start. Since this story picked up the pace towards the end, I'm really hopeful that the next installment in the series will keep the momentum going.


Has anyone else read this? Or has anyone started any new series they want to share that are worth checking out?

No comments: