Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Review: Find and Follow Your Inner Compass: Instant Guidance in an Age of Information Overload

Find and Follow Your Inner Compass: Instant Guidance in an Age of Information Overload Find and Follow Your Inner Compass: Instant Guidance in an Age of Information Overload by Barbara Berger
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Melissa's Musings:

*I won a copy of this book via Goodreads Giveaways*

This was interesting in that it deals with following one's inner compass, something we don't often do, and are early on in life discouraged from doing. It gives some helpful information on learning to listen to your compass, set boundaries, and learn to deter yourself from feeling guilty or selfish for doing so.

I resonated with this a little, as worrying about what others think, or "doing the right thing" is something I often struggle with. I don't follow my own inner compass often enough, but I would like to start doing that. I also have trouble saying no, and setting boundaries, and this reminded me that I should do that more often.

One of the things that disappointed me about this book are the constant overuse of exclamation marks. Nothing in this book was exciting enough to deserve them. The writing style is a bit choppy, and the content gets to be a bit repetitive.  I also didn't like the fact that the author mentioned another one of her books 6 or 7 times in the span of 20 pages. Please let me just focus on reading the current book, without constantly mentioning your other one.

I did appreciate the message of the book, but wasn't overly empowered after reading it. I did find the list of resources/other books at the back useful though, and so might others on their spiritual journey.

Do you have trouble setting boundaries, or saying no to people? When did you stop worrying about what other people think of you?

No comments: